Michael and I had two great friends get married the day before we left for Alaska. One of which Michael was born in the same hospital room 5 minutes after her, and the other who has been one of Michael's best buds since elementary school. So, we loaded up the car and headed to Gatlinburg for the weekend. In true Harrell fashion we rolled into the Park Vista for the rehearsal at the exact time it was starting. Michael literally jumped out of the car and ran in as I went and parked the car. We decided to pack all of our things in one bag since the rest were being used for Alaska. I will never do that again. We used Michael's old baseball bat duffle bag, which is longer than I am tall. So, here I am, pregnant belly and all, carrying Lila, our huge bag, (which luckily didn't take out any car windows on the way), Lila's diaper bag, my purse, food bag, etc. I am sure it was a site. I must say, I thought I was a little crazy trying to carry all of it, but our parking spot was a long way away, and I didn't want to make 2 trips. I honestly thought that someone would offer to help me along the way. Nope. Not until I was about to get off of the elevator to head towards our room did someone finally offer to help. I got lots of "bless your heart" looks, but no help. Oh well. We made it, and I got to work out my right bicep a little more since I carry Lila with my left. :) Anyway, Michael and the groomsmen were doing lunch the day of the wedding and hanging out, so I decided since the wedding wasn't until 7 pm that I would go visit my sister, brother-in law, and neices in Maryville for the day. Lila slept in a little longer than usual, so I didn't leave as early as planned, but I was still making good time. That is, until I drove an hour in the wrong direction up into the mountains towards NC with no cell phone service! I followed the directions Michael gave me from Mapquest, however he didn't put in the hotel's address, just Gatlinburg, so it had me going the wrong way. Yes, honey, I am still blaming you! :) I feel like I should have known better, but it has been a long time since I had been up there and I had not taken back roads to Maryville before. It was actually really pretty and I think that if I wasn't so upset I would have really enjoyed it. Here is the thing....I knew we were going to have a long day with flying the next day and would be traveling a lot in the car in Alaska, plus the drive to Gatlinburg, so I really didn't want Lila to be in the car for very long. Boy did that backfire! Plus, I wanted to spend as much time with my family that I could before having to come back to the wedding. I did finally realize that I am not going the right way, but there is no place to turn around. I also just got a new phone the day before that I still don't know how to use, so that was frustrating. Not that it mattered because I couldn't get any service anyway. Plus, everyone was driving 15 miles an hour! I finally get to an overlook and I am just crying. I see a tour bus and work up the nerve to go ask for directions. I dried up my tears before approaching, but as soon as I opened my mouth, I just started boo hooing. I don't really know why...hormones I guess! He finds a guide to help me who was super sweet. He gave me a map and told me to put my car in low gear and to not cry while going down the mountain. I finally did make it my sisters and back for the wedding. The wedding was beautiful and I love to see 2 people so happy! Stephen is my boy, so to see him smile made it all worth while. Lila loved seeing her daddy in the wedding and kept calling his name while he walked down the aisle and stood up front. Luckily we were outside and the wind blocked her yelling, but it was still really cute.
Here is my dancing queen. Now, let me tell you. We sat in the very back, the furthest away from the dance floor. However, as soon as we would put her down, she made her way, crawling through all the tables to get to the dance floor. One girl was up dancing and Lila crawled right through her legs. She didn't know what to think. It was too funny!

Here is Lila with sweet Becky. Lila loved playing with all her jewelry!



So, shortly after the reception, we loaded up the car and headed back home to try and catch some zzz's before having to be at the airport at 9. Well, it couldn't be that easy, now could it? This just happened to be the night that some oil rig turned over and spilled and they closed the interstate both ways. Long story, but after rerouting to Chattnooga we finally made it home only to sleep a few hours before getting up again. Still to come...ALASKA!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment