Lila's first plane ride: I was really worried about how she would react to flying. This is the child who hates the lawnmower and the elevator. However, she actually loved flying. She even danced a little during take-off and landing. There were some really cute teenage boys sitting behind us on the flight to Anchorage and they flirted and talked to her and had her dancing the whole time. They were even taking pictures of her and talking about how happy she was. She did finally sleep for about...oh an hour. I was a little stressed during the flight. I think I was just tired, hungry, anxious, etc. Lila is a total wiggle worm and didn't eat very well during the day, so that did not help. Luckily, P &A were a great help to us! Oh, the reason she is nudy is because she jerked my water out of my hand and soaked herself and I did not bring a change of clothes.
We FINALLY made it! Here we are at around 2 in the morning our time. Note: It is about 11 pm in Anchorage...check out the sky. Even though we were exhausted, it didn't feel right going to bed with the sun still out!

After flying into Anchorage on Sunday night, we drove to Homer, Alaska on Monday. Here we are at one of the overlook sights. We noticed that my belly grew significantly over the 10 days. I wish I would have taken measurements the day we left and the day we came home.

Homer is the Halibut Capital of the world. Erin hates fish, so I thought this picture was funny. The boys went deep sea fishing, while we girls checked out the quirky little town of Homer. Some other men had just come in from their trip and these were their fish they caught.
We stayed in an awesome cabin with a gorgeous view. The back of the cabin was just a wall of windows. Here is what we woke up to every morning. We also had 2 friends who came to visit us. These 2 bald eagles kept flying by, which was really neat to see them in the wild and up so close.
This is at the boat dock in Homer. One of the boats from the show, Deadliest Catch, ship from here. 
The Gang!

Just the Harrell's got to drive to Anchorage from Homer together. All of the sudden, Michael whips it over on the side of the road for us to see this. I took lots of pictures, but I figure one of a moose and her calf is enough to post. We were literally directly across from them. I wanted to get out and pet them until Michael informed me that they attack more than any other animal out there. He is telling me this as I am hanging out the sunroof video-taping!
Just being goofy.

Just being goofy.

In Alaska, there are not very many roads. On our way to a Glacier Cruise there was a wreck that had traffice stopped. Therefore, we got out and had a little fun. It was a beautiful day, so we wanted to take advantage.

We didn't make it to the cruise, but we did make it to the Wildlife Conservation Center. No, this bear is not in the wild, but we did see 2 on the side of the road, and 1 in Chad and Katherine's back yard! Now, that was exciting. Michael got a picture, but it was just the tail end of it going back into the woods. We actually set out some salmon up on their back deck hoping he would come back again. Chad and Kate have lived there for a year and half and have never seen a bear in their neighborhood, so I think it was pretty exciting for them too!

We got a baby sitter one night and went out to a nice dinner without the little ones. 
This picture was taken at about...11 pm. The sun never really completely sat there. The darkest it ever got there was when we drove through the tunnel on the way to Whittier! :)

I wish you all could have seen this rainbow. This picture just doesn't do it justice. It was the most vibrant thing I had ever seen AND it went from end to end. I was just too close to get the whole thing. You can't see it here, but it actually became a triple rainbow with one in between these two.

Here we are in the cute town of Whittier. There is only a one lane tunnel into this town. You have to catch it at the exact time on the hour if you want to get through. They allow 15 minutes for 1 direction of cars to go through, and then another 15 minutes for the other way, and then 30 minutes for the train. The tunnel is 2.5 miles and you are basically driving on a 1 lane train track. There are no homes here, just some condo buildings and these stores are only open 4 months out of the year. Except of the train and some other shipping stuff, the whole town is shut down 8 months out of the year.

We went on a Glacier Cruise of Prince William Sound (this a body of water). Just in the sound there are over 100,000 glaciers. We took a tour of 7. It was amazing!

We saw a piece of ice fall from this Glacier. If you look closely, you can chunks of ice floating everywhere. The crazy thing is there are people out kayaking and boating everywhere. A bunch of sea otters also swam right past us. 




No comments:
Post a Comment