
Notice the ship at the bottom of the picture. That is a BIG ship. Like over 100 feet long. It really puts it into perspective how big this glacier is.



Beautiful Talkeetna ended up being not so pretty. It was a gross, rainy day, but it really is a neat little pioneer town. Just as I had finally worked up the nerve to leave my child and fly in a tiny 10 seater plane around and over Mt. McKinley and land on a glacier, they canceled the flight! Michael was super bummed, and I actually was very disappointed that we didn't get to see Denali or the Mountains. I guess that means we will just have to go back! Anyway, I did come back with some great trinkets. There were all kinds of homemade goody's there. Baby Boy may not even have a onsie to wear, but he now as a super cute knit hat made from organic cotton from Alaska. I got to meet the lady who made it, which was cool as well!
One of the stores had this cute little duck that sang and danced to one of Lila's favorite songs, "If you are happy and you know it." It flapped its wings when you are to clap and stomped its feet and moved around too. As you can tell...she LOVED IT!
Michael and I got to sneak off and do a little hike by ourselves. It was beautiful and we had a lot of fun just enjoying each other and God's beautiful earth. I do think Michael was a little worried about Bears since we had seen several on our trip and there were signs posted about recent bear sightings. We also heard some other hikers blowing their "bear whistle." We were suppose to take "Bear Deterrent" but we forgot. We just made a lot of noise and talked a lot while we were out. I thought this picture was funny of Michael looking up in the hole of the tree.
We meant to take this picture when we arrived, but were too anxious to get our luggage and get out of there. Here we are before leaving Alaska. Let's just say that an overnight flight with a sleep fighting 13 month old was NOT fun! She was more interested in blowing kisses and waving to everyone at 3:30 in the morning than she was in sleeping. There were actually 25 kids on that plane, but I was still worried about disturbing others. The lady beside me slept the entire way and didn't even notice Lila. If she would have just sat still for 2 minutes it wouldn't have been so bad. We were just exhausted and wanted to sleep and all she wanted to do was sit down, stand up, roll over, do downward facing dog, and crawl all over us! Needless to say, we didn't really sleep. Before we knew it, we had arrived in Cinncinatti for another 3 hour layover. I think I won the "Crabby Traveler" award for that trip back. I love the fact that Lila just wants to lay down in her own bed and go to sleep, but there are times, such as these, that I need her to lay her head down on my shoulder and snuggle with me and sleep. Even sleeping in the stroller would help, but she doesn't do that either. Like Mother Like Daughter..Nosey Rosey! We did make it home and Lila's schedule is still messed up, but we will get there. All the kids did great adjusting to the time out there. When we came home though, Lila didn't want to go to bed until 10 or 11 (7 or 8 in Alaska) and sleep until 10 or 11. She is at least going to bed at her normal 8 o'clock central time now!
I must say, I was so proud of Lila while we were there. I kept waiting for her to have a day where she just melted down because of change and lack of sleep, but she never really did. The worst was just the flight back. She woke up so happy every day and was super excited about playing with everyone. I think she is bored with just me now that we are home. She loved playing with Mason and Kaley and became super attached to daddy! I have majorly had my feelings hurt because it wasn't that she just wanted daddy...it was that she didn't want me at all!! What 13 month old doesn't want their momma?!? I even shed a few tears over it. I know she just isn't use to having Michael around this many days in a row, but it still makes me sad.
One of the stores had this cute little duck that sang and danced to one of Lila's favorite songs, "If you are happy and you know it." It flapped its wings when you are to clap and stomped its feet and moved around too. As you can tell...she LOVED IT!
Michael and I got to sneak off and do a little hike by ourselves. It was beautiful and we had a lot of fun just enjoying each other and God's beautiful earth. I do think Michael was a little worried about Bears since we had seen several on our trip and there were signs posted about recent bear sightings. We also heard some other hikers blowing their "bear whistle." We were suppose to take "Bear Deterrent" but we forgot. We just made a lot of noise and talked a lot while we were out. I thought this picture was funny of Michael looking up in the hole of the tree.
We meant to take this picture when we arrived, but were too anxious to get our luggage and get out of there. Here we are before leaving Alaska. Let's just say that an overnight flight with a sleep fighting 13 month old was NOT fun! She was more interested in blowing kisses and waving to everyone at 3:30 in the morning than she was in sleeping. There were actually 25 kids on that plane, but I was still worried about disturbing others. The lady beside me slept the entire way and didn't even notice Lila. If she would have just sat still for 2 minutes it wouldn't have been so bad. We were just exhausted and wanted to sleep and all she wanted to do was sit down, stand up, roll over, do downward facing dog, and crawl all over us! Needless to say, we didn't really sleep. Before we knew it, we had arrived in Cinncinatti for another 3 hour layover. I think I won the "Crabby Traveler" award for that trip back. I love the fact that Lila just wants to lay down in her own bed and go to sleep, but there are times, such as these, that I need her to lay her head down on my shoulder and snuggle with me and sleep. Even sleeping in the stroller would help, but she doesn't do that either. Like Mother Like Daughter..Nosey Rosey! We did make it home and Lila's schedule is still messed up, but we will get there. All the kids did great adjusting to the time out there. When we came home though, Lila didn't want to go to bed until 10 or 11 (7 or 8 in Alaska) and sleep until 10 or 11. She is at least going to bed at her normal 8 o'clock central time now!
I must say, I was so proud of Lila while we were there. I kept waiting for her to have a day where she just melted down because of change and lack of sleep, but she never really did. The worst was just the flight back. She woke up so happy every day and was super excited about playing with everyone. I think she is bored with just me now that we are home. She loved playing with Mason and Kaley and became super attached to daddy! I have majorly had my feelings hurt because it wasn't that she just wanted daddy...it was that she didn't want me at all!! What 13 month old doesn't want their momma?!? I even shed a few tears over it. I know she just isn't use to having Michael around this many days in a row, but it still makes me sad. We did have some major milestones while we were there though. Lila took her first steps on July 14th in HOMER, ALASKA!! The great thing about it is Michael and I both saw it. She took two steps with her left leg and was almost going in a circle. Michael and I both yelled out loud. She then took a right, left, then a right, left, right, left! It was so exciting. She is still hesitant some, but is actually moving a little faster now than when before she would take a step and think about it before taking another! She also cut a molar while we were there. Poor thing...I didn't even know it. I knew she was teething because she was drooling pretty bad, but the next thing I know I see this ginormous tooth! Although she acted totally fine the whole time we were there, she had A LOT of dirty diapers...like 4 or 5 a day! I felt so bad for her. I still don't know if it is from teething or just from her schedule being messed up. We are back to our normal 2 a day now though! Anyway, she was just perfect and we had a great time! I will say that although I hate the humidity here, I am glad for the warm weather and sunshine!
1 comment:
I want to talk to you about your trip. I really want to surprise Jesse in May for his 30th birthday with a trip to Alaska. Looks like you all had a blast!!!
Post a Comment