Saturday, July 11, 2009

Appropriate or Not?


Everytime I paint my toenails, Lila says, "Do me, Mommy. Do me." Everytime I get the nailpolish close to her she says, "No, I don't", so therefore I have never really had to deal with it.
This day, she once again asked me to paint her toenails. Thinking she would never let me, I attempted to paint them. Lo and behold, she let me do it!!
If I would have known, I probably would have chosen a lighter color and not hot pink. She was actually letting me do it, so I didn't want to mess it up by changing colors in the middle of it.
That night, Dear Daddy was getting the kids ready for a bath. I hear him telling Lila that he should get on to me for painting her nails. I walked in to find him taking the polish off. Apparently, Lila would not get in the bathtub until it was off of her toenails. (She's quirky, I know.) I asked if he was really mad and his response was, "She is just too innocent to be wearing toenail polish."
I personally feel it is ok, especially if it is just for play. I would feel differently about it if she was a little tiny baby and it was bright red. Michael REALLY would be mad if I did that to her.
So, what do you think?
Toenail polish on a 2 year old, appropriate or not?

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Absolutly! It is too adorable, I love her cute little painted toes. Tell Michael that it does make her look older just pretty!

Ashley said...

Absolutely!!!

Long story... my college roommate moved to VA. When she first got there and met people she had some little friends over and they played beauty shop (the girls were 5-6ish). When the mom finally saw the painted nails she called my roomie and LANDBLASTED her stating and I quote "painting nails leads to promisquity". I told my rommie that if I ever had a girl that I would paint toenails before I left the hosp if I felt like it. Of course I have not had the opportunity, but when Eliza asked me too last summer when she was 2, and she agreed to sit still until it dried. I did it with a smile on my face loving every minute of it... and as far as I know there have been no signs of promisquity. =)(BUT I can understand Michael's protection of his little girl... he and Brent need to talk, Brent flips out when he sees teen girls out in public and declares how his daughter WILL NEVER (fill in the blank).)

Pamela Johnson said...

certainly! it goes with princess dresses, tiaras, girlie stuff!! just being a girl. so cute!

k.mart said...

Daddy's little girls... melting those big hearts, toenail polish and all! (And worry them to death in the process... lol!)

I just see it as them wanting to be like mommy... we painted Hope's as a big deal for her second b-day. She couldn't believe she got to be like mommy; now we see it as nothing more than a sparkly hair pretty or twirly dress-- the feminine side of all us gals.

But, I'm sure the daddy over here can relate all the same... :)

Just a glimspe...

I wish you all could see what I wake up to each morning. Every day is a
gift. Here is a glimpse of the little blessings we have been given.

Voting

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
We are The Harrell's. (AKA..TEAM HARRELL). We are loving (and still trying to figure out) this incredible journey of parenting. We don't want to miss a moment of it, so here are our "Happenings" to help document.

Visitors